Status of opposition OF EP 0896538
During May 11-12, 2004, oral hearings were held at the European Patent Office in Munich concerning the oppositions filed against EP 0896538, which belongs to the patent family of WO 97/40833. The Board of Examiners, after hearing oral testimony from opponents and patentees over 1.5 days, ruled that the patent is revoked. Their decision was based on Article 84 EPC (clarity of the claims). Probiodrug intends to file an appeal against this decision of the Opposition Board.
New license granted
Novartis Pharma AG has taken a non-exclusive license under the available license package from Probiodrug.
Additional combination claims added
Probiodrug is pleased to announce that the patents available for licensing now include additional pending claims covering the co-administration of DP IV inhibitor(s) with one or more other diabetes therapeutic agents such as metformin. These claims have their priority in the WO 99/38501 family of patents available exclusively for license in the field* from Probiodrug. Representative claims currently pending are presented below.
REPRESENTATIVE CO-ADMINISTRATION CLAIMS CONTAINED WITHIN THE WO 99/38501 FAMILY OF PATENTS AVAILABLE AS PART OF THE LICENSE PACKAGE
1. A method for modifying glucose metabolism of an animal, comprising conjointly administering to the animal a composition comprising an inhibitor of dipeptidylpeptidase IV and one or more other therapeutic agents, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
2. A method for treating Type II diabetes in an animal, comprising conjointly administering to the animal a composition comprising an inhibitor of dipeptidylpeptidase IV and one or more other therapeutic agents, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
84. A method of any one of claims 1, 2, 25, 26, 34-37, or 61, wherein the other therapeutic agent is selected from insulin, M1 receptor antagonists, prolactin inhibitors, agents acting on an ATP-dependent channel of beta-cells, metformin, and glucosidase inhibitors.
91. A pharmaceutical composition, comprising a pharmaceutically acceptable amount of an inhibitor of dipeptidyl peptidase IV and one or more other therapeutic agents, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof.
93. The pharmaceutical composition according to claim 91, wherein the other therapeutic agent is metformin.
*Research, development, manufacture, importation/exportation, use and sale of non-boronic acid inhibitors of DPIV for the treatment of disorders involving glucose metabolism.